Barrow is located in a lowland tundra coastal area among lagoons, and has been flooded recently by the arctic ocean rising levels.
Coordinates: 71°17′ N, 156°45′ W
pop. ~ 4600
Barrow is roughly 2100 km south of the North Pole.
Welcome to Barrow (in inupiaq, Ukpeagvik = "place where owls are hunted")
The town center, with the sign post, the visitor center and the Airport Inn lodge.
Free coffee for tourists! :)
Better in summer...
Nearby, at 14 km to the northeast, Point Barrow is the nation's northernmost point.
Point Barrow is also an important geographical landmark, marking the limit between two marginal seas of the Arctic, the Chukchi Sea on its western side and the Beaufort Sea on the eastern, both delimited to the North by the edge of the map.
The sea water around is normally ice-free for only two or three months a year.
Barrow’s local economy is based on oil but is supplemented by tourism, with visitors arriving during the summer season to enjoy the midnight sun.
24h in summer months, zero in winter...
The King Eider Inn, in the town center, under twilight moon.
The fur shop and Iñupiat cleaning facility
The Town Hall in the arctic night
Hunting and fishing are still important for subsistence. Many residents rely upon subsistence food sources: whale, seal, polar bear, walrus, waterfowl, caribou, ducks and fish are harvested from the coast or nearby rivers and lakes.
The houses have to be built on stilts to isolate from the frozen permafrost soil of the tundra. The heat from the house would melt it and the house would then sink.
Colourful houses bring some joy to the grey days
The historical town center
Oldest house in Barrow
The main presbyterian church, Utqiagviq
...and the secondary school.
The Post office
One of the best buildings in town
Old postage from the "top of the world".
The Iñupiat Heritage Center
A museum with many fascinating Iñupiat displays and artifacts.
Ivory bear and cubs
The Iñupiat Heritage Center celebrates Eskimo contributions to whaling.
Local inupiat drummers
Archaeological evidence dates human habitation (by Inupiat Eskimos) in the area from about 500 A.D.
The small town was named in 1826 by british explorer Frederick William Beechey, for Sir John Barrow, geographer of the British Admiralty.
In command the HMS Blossom, Beechey explored the Bering Strait in concert with Franklin and Parry expedition operating from the east. In July 1826, he named the three islands in the Bering Strait. Two were the Diomede Islands. Later in the summer of 1826, he passed the strait. Sailing north, the expedition then reached Point Barrow, hoping to meet somewhere around with Parry. But that meeting would fail for a 5 days (300 km) gap.
Occupies the most historic building in town, the 19th-century whaling station and store built by Charles Brower, who introduced a new whaling technique to the Iñupiat.
Big windows look out on the beach and a famous whalebone arch is just outside.
Barrow is connected with Anchorage and Fairbanks by regular air service.
Alaska 55 for Anchorage
The Alaska Airlines terminal
Visitors to Point Barrow receive a certificate as they were at the "land's end".
Driftwood from an umiak at the beach as the sun sets
Midnight sun dims the arctic ocean, through the arched whalebones, Barrow's logo..