Kuujjuaq, the main town in Nunavik.
Lacated on the west shore of the Koksoak river, some 160 km to the southwest of Kangiqsualujjuaq, and 48 km upstream from Ungava Bay, this is a larger native settlement.
Coordinates: 58° 06′ N, 68° 23′ W (sub-arctic)
Population: ~ 2400
Kuujjuaq is a fast growing community, the largest native village in Nunavik. Housing quality and services are still improving, and the village offers a number of hotels, restaurants, stores, arts and crafts shops and even a bank.
New housing is also more richly coloured.
A few trees grow in a tundra-covered terrain.
Same view in Winter.
Although the tree line is very close, the boreal forest is present around Kuujjuaq. Patches of black spruce and larch stand in marshy valleys.
A short History
In 1830, the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) started the fur trade business in Nunavik by establishing their first post on the east shore of the Koksoak River. In 1948 a nursing station, a school and a weather station were built. Later, in 1958, the HBC moved upstream and it was followed by the families that still lived across the river. In 1961, an Inuit co-operative was created.
Nowadays Kuujjuaq gained strategic importance with the two-strip airport, a local transport hub. Economic growth shows in the hotels and restaurants, shops and bank agency created in recent years. A health centre and two schools also serve Ungava Bay area.
With two runways, Kuujjuaq's airport is the transportation hub of the entire region.
The Koksoak river
Daily life in Kuujjuaq is closely tied to the river and subjected to the tidal rythm.
About 50 km upstream from Ungava Bay, the river's currents are under tidal influence. Fishing is subject to those conditions.
Low tide at the Koksoak.