At 43º N , this almost unknown asian town can hardly be someone's Ultima Thule. But its surrounding nature and some European atmosphere can be a surprise in such a remote off-track location.
While Vladivostock is well known and used to visitors, Ussuriysk remains almost a secret just 100 Km inland to the north.
Ussuriysk is a far-east Siberian town, on the banks of the Ussuri river and near the Khanka Lake, about 60 kilometers from both the Chinese border and the Sea of Japan. It lies south of Khabarovsk (see Ultima Thule here) and north of Vladivostock.
Coordinates: 43° 48′ N, 131° 57′ E
Population: ~160 000
From 1115 to 1234, the southern area of the modern Russian Far East was under the Jurchen Jin Dynasty, a nomadic asiatic people.
Ussuriysk was founded in 1866. Due to its advantageous geographic location at the crossing of transport routes, the village experienced rapid growth during the 1870s, turning into a trade center. Its role increased after the railroad connected Khabarovsk and Vladivostok (now a part of the Trans-Siberian Railway).
The central part of the city, including Lenina, Chicherina, Krasnoznamyonnaya, and Ageyeva Streets, is of historic value.
Arbat street, around which lies the old town, has been under restoration, most of it is now colorfully painted and aligned with trees, gardens, benches.
A few wooden houses featuring woodwork around the windows still survive in the oldest boroughs.
The Jin Stone Tortoise
A 12th-century stone tortoise from a Jurchen grave of the Great Jin Dinasty (1115-1234) is displayed in Ussuriysk's central park. It's the richest archeologic feature of the Museum.
The large tortoises represented by the sculpture live in large number in the Khanka Lake.
In addition, the Museum exhibits photos, documents, tools and other testimonies of the past centuries.
Ussuriysk Drama Theater
Built in 1937, he was then the City Theatre. It currently offers a classic program and children plays.
It's one of the most loved and protected buildings in town.
Church of the Holy Protection
The church has four domes, bell tower with seven bells. Among the relics, an old icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov.
It is the only religious building in the krai that has been kept without any reconstruction since 1917 and is used for its original purpose.
The Old Movie Theater
One of the oldest buildings in town, the "Grand-Illusion" movie theater, now "Rossya", built in 1908-1909.
Café bar "Green Island"
More westernly Café "Shazka":
Despite the low latitude, winters are icy cold and the town always hides its colour under the white of snow.
The charm of Ussuriysk in winter
Lake Khanka´s waters covered with flowered lotus.
Ussuri river through Primorsky territory
The Ussuri is a tributary of the Amur river; it flows north from the mountains of the Krai, and establishes the Sino-Russian border separating Siberia and Manchuria, until it flows into the large Amur at the great city of Khabarovsky. During the border conflict, the river was a stage of combats between the two armies.
The river flows through taiga-covered flat land.
Primorsky Krai, bordered by China, North Korea, and the relatively warm waters of the Sea of Japan, is the southeasternmost region of Russia, located between 42° and 48° north latitude and 130° and 139° east longitude.
Highlands dominate the territory of the krai. Most of the territory is mountainous, and around 80% of it is forested. There lives the...