Marguerite Bay is a major bay on the west coast of
the Antarctic Peninsula, along the Fallières Coast. The bay is bounded on the north by Adelaide
Island and on the south by George VI Sound and
Located at 71°S, 68°W
By this time of the year, Summer is reaching its best days in Antarctica. Temperatures may rise from -10º to 5º at most, and even some forms of vegetal life show up on rocks, now free of ice.
San Martin, Barry Island
Barry Island is a small island, one of the Debenham Islands.
Coordinates: 68°08′S, 67°07′W.
Barry Island was charted by the British Graham Land Expedition (BGLE) under John Riddoch Rymill, who used the island for a base in 1936 and 1937.
Argentina built the San Martín base in 1951, located on this island. Around twenty people live there all year round.
To the west:
Rothera research station, Adelaide island
At 67° 34’ S, 68 ° 08’ W
The island is 140 km long and heavily glaciated with mountains of up to 2565m height. The station is built on a promontory of rock.
BAS Rothera Station was established in 1975 to replace old Adelaide Island Station. It is a large facility open throughout the year, and in the summer the population will peak at just over 100 people.
In the winter months, April to mid October, a compliment of around 22 will be continuing the science work and looking after the station infrastructure.
Bonner laboratory, a state-of-the-art facility for terrestrial and marine biology: three dry labs, one wet lab, aquarium, library, microscope room...
Bransfield House, where the main comunity services are located, is the hub of the base: dining room, bar, library and TV rooms, computer rooms, communication facilities, meteorological facilities, dried food storage and kitchen.
Rothera serves as the capital of the British Antarctic Territory.
RRS James Clark Ross
Fossil Bluff station.
Stonehouse bay, a large body of water.
Adelaide Island's largest glacier, the Shambles Glacier, calves into this bay (far right).
To the south:
Fossil Bluff, Alexandra island, George VI sound
Latitude 71°20' S, Longitude 68°17' W
This small base was established on Alexander Island in 1961. It is about 225 miles south of Rothera,
With summer-only occupation since 1975, the bluff is a collection of buildings and facilities, at the centre of which lies the hut.
Fossil Bluff only houses four people.
The base is operated by Twin Otters from Rothera station (90 to 110 minutes flight) during the Antarctic summer season.
Summer in Antarctica can also be colourful:
This was my New Year post. Happy 2013 for all visitors!