Tvøroyri is the main village on the island of Suðuroy, the southernmost of the Faroë Islands, on the North Atlantic.
The small fishing town is located at the bottom of the fiord Trongisvágsfjørður.
Tvøroyri sits like a ribbon-shaped urban agglomeration along the north shore.
Tvøroyri, Sudoroy, Faroë Islands
Coordinates: 61° 33′ N, 6° 48′ W
Population: ~ 1750
The Sail Loft (Seglloftið)
This was the old sail making house.
As part of of the old merchant port, the building is now a cultural venue, as are the black painted old warfs.
The first house to be built in Tvøroyri was the old shop, which the Royal Trading Monopoly built in 1836. Since 1856 this building has been known as Krambuðin (grocery shop).
Tvøroyri Museum Doktarahúsið
In the vicinity of the quay, the local maritime museum is installed in the old doctor's surgery, kept authentic with a grass roof.
This museum tells the local history of Tvøroyri and the fiord area around. It is a historical and maritime museum.
The building is one of the first built in Tvøroyri, from 1852.
The Gallari Oyggin ('Island Gallery') is situated on the main street in Tvøroyri. There are sculptures in the garden and on the parking spot, opposite the gallery.
The owner is Palle Julsgart, who is an artist himself. The Oyggin Gallery has shifting exhibitions with guest exhibitors from the Faroe Islands and from other countries. The café in the gallery serves light dishes and drinks.
Owned also by Palle Julsgart, this cosy little shop opposite of the Art Gallery sells gifts, books and framed works from local artists. On the square next to the shop there are several sculptures.
On the east side of the village, high on a hillside over of the town, and visible from far away.
The prebuilt wooden church was shipped to Tvøroyri and assembled in 1907.
The fiord and the water festival Jóansøka
Each year Tvøroyri and Vágur take turns with the celebration of a midsummer festival, called Jóansøka, the St John's feast.
Several proofs of rowing take place in traditional smyril boats.
This festival takes place every year on the weekend that falls closest to June 24 (St. John's day).
The daily ferry from Tórshavn docks at Drelnes, opposite on the south shore of the fjord. The crossing from Tórshavn takes about a half hour with the new ferry Smyril V. The ferry serves not only passenger transport, but also trade with the outside world.
The winter snow brings a different look to the town and the fiord:
The Park of Trongisvágur
A popular excursion destination is the forest Viðarlundin í Trongisvági , one of the largest of the Faroë Islands, which are mostly treeless. It consists mainly of spruce, pine and ash and is located about 1 km west of the town.
The Faroese word Viðarlundin means little forest or little plantation.
The Faroë Islands, with their moist cool climate and salty air, are not suitable for the prosperity of trees; the soil crumb is also relatively thin and offers little support.
The west coast is quite more wild and rugged.