Wednesday, 4 March 2020

Qaqortoq, a lively little town in southern Greenland


Qaqortoq is a sub-arctic town in southern Greenland, at 60º N - about 670 km south of the Arctic Circle.


Founded in 1775 as Julianehåb, the small port town has lived through 250 years of History, a rather long time for Greenland. The colonial architecture has provided the town with little gems:


Cobblestone stairways and iron bridges, a wooden bright red church and old houses full of colour in the town center; also a Museum displaying data of the region's heritage, and more recently artwork that was carved out of rock walls at every turn. So, not bad for greenlandic culture.

Qaqortoq

Coordinates: 60° 43′ N, 46° 2′ W
Population: ~3 100

The main and most photographed building is the red church by a small stream of fresh water.

Frelserens Kirke (Church of the Saviour), from 1832, is a lutheran church.


A votive ship dedicated to the town's seamen hovers over the centre aisle.


MS Hans Hedtoft, a brand-new Danish steamer, crashed against an iceberg and sank with 95 people aboard in 1959, during the inaugural trip along the west coast of Greenland, heading to Julianehåb. That tragedy is rebembered as the "Danish Titanic", to which this church dedicates a memorial.



The Fountain Square and the Museum

No, this is not a typical Italian town :) - it is the civic centre of Qaqortoq, a quite European square in fact:


Torvet i Qaqortoq is surrounded by colonial wooden buildings, now converted to a shop, the Lal’laati’s Corner Café, a bakery, the local newspaper and one of the Museum buildings; in the centre stands Mindebrønden, a fountain in stone and bronze from 1932.


A termal water lake (38ºC) nearby, at Uunartoq, feeds the Mindebrønden, the first ever fountain of precious freshwater in the country.

Three bronze whales spouting water.

Katersugaasivik (Museum) Qaqortoq

Danish colonizers built the port first called Julianehåb (Juliane was a Danish queen) in 1775, as a hub for the seal hunt and the seal skin business. Later, during the era of great explorers in journey to the Arctic, Charles Lindberg and Knud Rasmussen met here in 1933; the presence of these two adventurers of the 20th century is documented at the Museum, which mainly exhibits Inuit boats, hunting equipment, national dresses and Norse artifacts.


The Museum is housed in two buildings; by the Fountain Square is this wooden tarred house from 1871:


The other house was originally the town's blacksmith's shop:

The house was built in yellow stone and dates back to 1804.

The territory has seen human presence since pre-History (Saqqaq e Dorset cultures). Vikings came by the end of the 10th century, and settled at Hvalsey, a few miles to the northeast. They stayed for about 500 years, until middle-15 century, sharing somehow the resources and the land with the local proto-Inuit of the 'Thule' range. The last written record of the Norse presence is of a wedding at Hvalseyjarfjord in 1408.

The kayak (or umiak) is claimed inuit heritage.

Harpoons belong in the umiak.

The Ulu knife, also an exclusive inuit artifact.

The famous Kamiks, colourful and embroidered sealskin boots.

Folk festive costume.

The red attic room where Knud Rasmussen stayed. He met here with Lindbergh to look for safe places to land his plane on the route over the Arctic.


Let's return to the main square to finish our tour.

'Kujataamiu' is the local newspaper; its headquarters sit here.


And this is the town's main café and restaurant; in rare sunny days you can even sit outdoors.


Stone and Man

During the mid-1990s, the Greenlandic artist Aka Høegh (Inuk, 1971) launched a sculpture project with artists from all of the Nordic countries. The following result was Stone & Man (Sten og menneske), fourty sculptures carved all around the city, many of them carved right out of the rock faces. Their strong character brought a fresh cultural breath to the town.





Maybe inspired in Copenhagen's Little Mermaid.


Inded a permanent collecton, this open air art gallery.

Housing, as usual in Greenland, is mainly the wooden two-floor prefab model painted in bright colours - red, blue and green.


As in most settlements in Greenland, there are no streets and no cars in Qaqortoq; just a road network connecting the harbour and the heliport. Connecting houses, stairways go uphill-downhill offering an additional unique landscape.


Even an Inuit family from the cold lands may like to have the house decorated with spring flowers - an arctic luxury.

In Summer, temperature usually rises to zero degrees; lately it has been slightly positive.



Narsarsuaq Arboretum

A Forest in Greenland ?!

South Greenland has two whole forests, actually. This one is in Narsarsuaq, and there’s another in Tasermiut Fjord.


This small forest is 60 km northwest of Qaqortoq, in a complex network of fjords.


Narsarsuaq Arboretum is exemplary of a forestation program that the whole world needs.


It's a nordic forest, mostly composed of conifers, firs and larch trees, but also alders, birches, willows and poplars.


And from here Greenland started to export ... honey !

From Narsarsuaq forest.

Over 500 000 bees from northern Sweden flied (by plane!) into Narsarsuaq, where they started a new life.

-----------------------------

Close to the Arboretum, Café Polar-Tut offers indoor and outdoor leisure time for visitors:







0 comments: